Atención, abrir en una nueva ventana. PDFImprimirE-mail


230th Anniversary of the foundation of Guatemala City

La Exposición District, Zone 4

Location, boundaries and territorial extension
 

View of the main building of the Central American Exposition. Valdeavellano Photo.

Guatemala City, February 2006/ According to J. Antonio Villacorta, in his “Monografía del Departamento de Guatemala” (Monography of the Department of Guatemala –1926:174), “La Exposición District was located in a large portion of El Recreo national farm, with La Libertad district to the north; La Palma and Independence districts to the east; Tívoli, to the south, and La Libertad and La Paz to the west.



“The most important street of the district is an extension of 7th Avenue, which runs from north to south.  The March 11 Plaza, which is part of the Avenue, is embellished with a monument that commemorates the finalization of the Northern Railroad works in 1908. A conical column made of several grey granite blocks that rises from within a pond built with wrought stone holds several bronze figures that represent Fame, Labor, Trade and Agriculture”.


Today, three important roads cross this district:  6th and 7th Avenues, aka “September 15” Avenue, of Zone 4, and 10th Avenue of Zone 5, which represented the trade upsurge that occurred in Guatemala City in the 1940s.


During La Exposición’s first year, carriages and trains provided public transportation.



There used to be a “decauville” stop at La Exposición,  on the street linking Reforma and 7th Avenues.  Later, during the first two decades of the 20th Century, automobiles were introduced and carriages and trains stopped running.  During this time several urban buses enterprises began to operate: Arauco, Atlas, La Unión, La Fe and Eureka. The last three are still operating.



Arauco’s route 2 served Cerro del Carmen-Villa de Guadalupe.  The stops were along 7th Avenue South and Reforma.  The service cost Q0.05, according to the 1950 Tourist Guide.  The route was similar to the ones covered by the present day’s buses 82 and 101.



“It starts at 2nd West Street and travels on 7th Avenue North; 6th Street West , 6th Avenue North, 8th Street West, the Trade Portal (to pick up passengers only), 8th Avenue South, 20th Street West, 7th Avenue South, Mariscal Cruz Street, Reforma Avenue,  Obelisco (to pick up passengers only), Las Conchas Avenue, Villa de Guadalupe Civil Guard, Villa de Guadalupe Royal Street, Ciudad Vieja Royal Street, Mars Fields, 12th Avenue South, 18th Street West, 9th Avenue West, 12th Avenue North and South and Del Carmen Knoll, which is the end of the route”. (De León Paz, 1950: 143). Boldface is ours.

 

An adequate taxicab service charged Q2.00/hour, day or night, in the early days.  Today’s taxicab service has improved and many more cars are available.

 

POLITICAL DIVISION

 

District 9, which includes Zones 4, 9 and 10 of Guatemala City, is divided into seven boroughs: D 9-1, D 9-2, D 9-3, D 9-4, D 9-5, D 9-6 and D 9-7.



“La Exposición” District belongs to borough 9-2 and is the responsibility of the neighbors that have formed the following Unique Neighborhood Committees (CUB): Residential, Cultural and Financial-Commercial.



The Deputy Mayor is Mrs. Priscilla Contreras Izepi de Narciso, and the sub-deputy mayors are Alma Esperanza Ruíz Villatoro de Mirabal, Esq. (D 9-1), Architect Sergio Castillo Bonini (D 9-2), Mr. Jorge Máximo Miranda Orellana, (D 9-4), Architect José Julio Díaz Anleu (D 9-5), Engineer Carlos Proesamer Farrington (D 9-6) and Leonel Galán Dávila, Esq. (D 9-7). Headquarters are located in 12 Street and La Reforma Avenue, in the basement of the Reforma Montúfar Building in Zone 10.

 

Beloved Neighborhood Program
Frieda Liliana Morales Barco, Ph.D.
Lecturas: 6029